[SlideCube] Scanners

Mike Whatley mmw at airmail.net
Wed Nov 29 19:08:35 PST 2006

Another data point for anyone interested. I just finished 7000 35 mm
slides covering the period from 1964 to 1995. I scanned the slides on an
HP 5470c which scans three slides at a time. Then used Photoshop to do
all necessary clean up, color correction, etc. Then used Adobe Premiere
Pro to make a video slide show (actually an mov "movie" file with
titles, music, etc.). Finally, I burned each slide show onto a DVD. As
it worked out, a single DVD, with each slide shown for 6 seconds, holds
one slide cube "box", i.e., the cardboard box which holds 16 slidecubes
(16 slidecubes x 40 slides per cube = 640 slides; 640 slides x 6 seconds
per slide =  3840 seconds or slightly over one hour). So, my 7000 slides
results in ten one-hour DVD slide shows. Finally, to digitally archive
the digital slide images, I burned the original scanned images on a set
of CDs; this is to allow prints, etc. to be made - the mov files aren't
suitable for that. It took some time, but my family appreciated it and I
enjoyed doing it.

Objectively, the original 35 mm slides shown with the slide cube
projector on a screen compared with the DVD slide show projected on the
same size screen with an InFocus digital projector always results in the
DVD being better quality than the slide. This is due in large part to
the enhancements done with Photoshop (some of the slides are 40 years
old and beginning to fade). Hope this isn't "too much information".

Mike