[SlideCube] (no subject)

John H. DuBois III spcecdt at armory.com
Wed Nov 29 22:14:43 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:37:04AM -0800, bev gyori wrote:
> How do you scan slides to digital format?

I'm using the expensive-ish approach - a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED with the SF-200
autofeeder.  A cube's worth of slides conveniently fits in the autofeeder.
It requires more than just dumping the slides in, of course.  They have to all
be oriented the same way, and though the ICE technology does wonders for dust,
large bits of dust (including specks of paper from the mounts) will still
degrade the image.  And the autofeeder will reverse the order of the slides.
So, I dump out a stack and draw a line down one edge to make it faster to
reorient them when I'm done scanning them.  Then I go through them,
simultaneously blowing dust and mold :( off, changing the orientation, and
reversing the order.  Since the scanning is all automated and unattended, I
tell it do the most-overblown multisampling and all that, which takes about 6
minutes per slide.  When the scanning is done I set the orientation back to the
way they should be projected (by rotating them so they all have the line on the
same edge).  I have >10,000 slides, of which I've gotten through about 2000 in
the last few years... I tend to go in bursts, scanning a drawer of 16 cubes at
a time, and then months before the next one :)

	John
--
John DuBois  spcecdt at armory.com  KC6QKZ/AE  http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/