[joe-frank-list] Re: Joe Frank heard on the radio in Chicago 24 hours a day

Jargonym at aol.com Jargonym at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 21:53:46 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/27/2004 2:00:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
joe-frank-list-request at armory.com writes:

> I wonder how they are paying Joe for the use of his
> material.

OK  I got the skinny on this broadcast from of friend of a friend; the
broadcast is being done by an artist (or group of artists, my source didn't know) in
Chicago who have done other "electronic free speech" and "nonlinear radio"
things in Chicago.  I understand that all the material being aired was purchased
from Joe Frank on CD, and that since this is a noncommercial use there's not
a question of "someone making money off Joe's work."

I'm sure Joe's staff reads these email postings, perhaps they have some
opinion on this. Or maybe the people responsible for this will come forward.....

Don't forget to keep this in perspective- this isn't someone ripping Joe off
and playing his stuff to make money for him/herself that Joe will never see,
not to mention the fact that it's only covering a certain area on the North
side of Chicago, not the country or even the whole city. Also, I'm sure it will
only be on for a limited duration. If 30 people ever hear this broadcast it'd
be a lot.  I mean, who besides radio hobbyists and lonely cabbies sit there
tuning around on their radios?  Most people set the station memories and leave it
at that.

I've heard quite a bit of this Joe broadcast - I drive a cab in the broadcast
area- and I have heard SOME repeated material now over the past two weeks,
but not that much.  I'd say there is about 50- 100 hours of Joe material here,
and at $15 an hour (which is about the cost of CDs, when you figure shipping)
that's $750-$1500 spent on Joe Frank recordings, not to mention who knows how
much for the transmitter.  I don't know about you, but I've not spent $750 on
Joe Frank CDs, I have listened mostly to MP3's which used to be available and
WBEZ here for my weekly one-hour fix.  I'd say whoever is doing this has
offered at least some financial support to the artist.... more than I have, anyway.

In my opinion, this is NOT one of those MP3 radio deals, because the signal
comes in too well over too large an area.  The coverage area is about the same
as some 100-watt college stations here in Chicago,  and the audio quality is
really good, so I'd say this is more than some jury-rigged setup.

I have to say, the effect of listening to these shows end to end is kind of
profound, it certainly has more impact than just the usual one-hour-a-week
format.

As far as the FCC is concerned, I don't see them on the Joe Frank discussion
EMAIL mailing list so unless John Ashcroft is reading all my EMAIL I think
this "Radio Free Joe" operation is safe for the period of time they are likely to
be running.

It's inspired me, I really enjoyed what I heard today and I am for sure gonna
subscribe to the Joe Frank website.