[joe-frank-list] Mp3's [off-topic]

Damon Akins dbakins at cox.net
Thu Jun 12 16:13:40 PDT 2003

Well...

I certainly can take the heat, but didn't expect to have to.

I am fully aware that you were answering a question from another subscriber.
My request ["please stop"] was not directed at you personally, although it
would appear that way as it was a reply to your message. Rather it was a
comment on the general direction of the messages. Perhaps I should have left
it alone. But to be clear, I am not suggesting that people weren't learning
something, nor that you [or they] shouldn't be concerned with the quality of
the show. As far as the following: ["to preserve the quality of the
recording for future listening has nothing to do with the original intended
use, and you obviously have missed the point all together if  you feel that
way."], I'm not sure how you can get that from anything I've written.

So, my brief comment may have been rude, but you have taken this in a
decidedly different direction. In that light, a few comments...

I haven't listened to The Lyons Den [KUNV, Sundays, 10:00], but, based on
your references in the interviews on KUNV's website, it sounds like a good
mix of music -- "pushing the envelope in music" as you said. However, there
is an attitude in your emails, in particular your reply here and the message
that prompted my entry into the conversation, that smacks of conceit. Lots
of people have radio shows. Lots of them are quite good. But somehow the
fact that you have one, and that you have permission from JOE FRANK HIMSELF
[your caps, not mine -- telling] justifies your dismissive tone. Apparently,
that tenuous relationship also logically justifies the extended discussions
of technical questions. I may have been rude, but I didn't base my comments
in the conceit of self righteousness.

Further, it wasn't my intent to make an editorial suggestion. I don't want
to moderate this, or any other list. If I were the moderator, I certainly
wouldn't have edited out your messages. I merely stated a request [please
stop] based on an opinion [that the extended technical discussion could be
better served off-list]. Most of the lists I belong to are academic, where
there is an understood consideration for the burgeoning size of recipients'
mailboxes. As such, discussions stay focused on the topic at hand, tangents
take place off list. Many of the informal lists I have belonged to grew so
tiresome with vituperative personal attacks and general inane off topic
nonsense that I unsubscribed. Perhaps that motivated my response. I'd hate
to see this list follow suit. Understandably, it is not an academic list,
but it seems JF deserves better than the usual fanzine drivel.

In the meantime, you [George] have a radio show of your very own to run, and
I guess it's just my "natural nature" to come across rude. [Although, if Joe
is laughing at any of this -- it is this redundancy from your original
reply]

Damon