[Darkwood-SCA] Somewhat of an introduction...

Allan Menefee andar_b at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 21 11:38:31 PDT 2006

Good day,

  I'd like to introduce myself, rather than lurking, since this list  seems rather quiet.  While I've never visited an SCA event, (local  Renfaire doesn't count...) I'm quite interested in much of what I've  found online.  Everything from Calligraphy to modern  castlebuilding.

  My mundane name is Allan, haven't quite figured out a persona for  period use, though.  Working on some research for a reasonable  attempt at garb so I don't feel too self-concious when I *do* manage to  visit an event.

  I've already been interested in Calligraphy, bookmaking, blacksmithing,  armoring, and other period craftsperson persuits.  Even before  coming upon the SCA, I had often considered ways of making modern  conveniences work with ancient equipment (whether they actually did or  not is another story).  Hot water showers and running water,  hydro-powered smithy bellows (paper mill, grain mill, clothes washing,  etc.) and perhaps even landscape watering.

  Well, I can't really think of anything further to ramble on about  (besides how cool it would be to build a real castle...o.O) so I'll  cease.

  If anyone has some pointers for a newcomer, or just some interesting information, let me know.  Thank you,

  Allan S. Menefee