[Darkwood-SCA] Need ideas for taxes?

catherine at redshift.com catherine at redshift.com
Mon Apr 24 13:29:36 PDT 2006

What Christophe said is also my understanding.

This very subject came up on the SCA Cooks list last week.  Corpora was quoted:
"Manufacturing, distributing, selling, serving, or furnishing of alcoholic beverages by the SCA or
its branches or subdivisions is prohibited within the United States and its territories."

"Officers are not prohibited from giving gifts of alcohol; however, it must be done as
individuals, and not as part of their official duties as officers. Giving or receiving gifts of
alcohol in court is not considered to be part of an officer's official duties."

So alcohol provided by an individual to be presented as a gift in court is still OK.  Gift baskets
from cantons are mostly items provided by individuals.  Marsaili, if you need someone to taste
your cordial before presenting it to the Royalty...Quality control & all that... ;-)

Caterina

> My understanding is:
> No selling alcohol
> No spending SCA funds on alcohol (except for a small amount for cooking) No making hard liquor
> Making beer and wine for personal use (for yourself and friends/family) in small amounts is OK
> Making cordials from store-bought alcohol and giving them away is OK (because taxes have been
> paid on that alcohol already)
>
> I doubt this is complete, but should be accurate as far as it goes (and as far as my memory
> serves me).
>
> As far as "paying taxes", Marsaili... Kingdom law requires each barony to present a report to the
> Crown every two years. That's developed into a bit of schtick where the baronies' reports coincide
> with gifts to the Crown in the form of "taxes". And it's become a bit of a competition between some
> of the baronies to out-do the rest. Especially after a few years ago when Rivenoak had some really
> cool bits (including a life-sized plywood cut-out of a camel, on wheels, draped with sacks of
goodies)
> and after was bragging that they had "out-Darkwooded Darkwood". We could not, of course, let this
> stand, so we've been doing our best (quite successfully, I mightadd) to put the other baronies
to shame
> in our taxes presentations. <grin> Not much process to it beyond that.
>
> Christophe
>
> Laurie Hupman said:
>> I think so, but I'm easily confused by all the regs when it comes to alcohol -- Caterina, do
you know?

>> Rose
>>
>> Quoting Ann M Morton <best_interests at sbcglobal.net>:
>>
>>> Greetings Good Gentles of Darkwood from Marsaili inghean Aindrais!
>>>
>>>   I am making a rose cordial, is this the kind of thing that we may pay as our tax tribute?
Newbie