[Darkwood-SCA] Canton Meeting Notes - September 11, 2005

Laurie Hupman rose at santiagosmagic.com
Thu Sep 15 10:19:11 PDT 2005

Hello everybody!  Here (in a mostly timely fashion) are my notes from last
Sunday's canton meeting:

Next year's Poachers' Feast is now on the calendar for June 3.  There was some
bouncing around to find the "perfect" date, but I think this will work out
okay.  I believe Rob is planning to autocrat again -- Rob, is that correct?
He's got some ideas for how to increase attendance, but I'm sure any help will
be appreciated.

The Baroness' Masked Ball is on October 22, at the fairgrounds in Tres Pinos.  I
don't see a website up yet, but I believe there's information in the Page
already.  There are tons of activities planned for this event:  Hawks Haven
will be running their Turkey Tourney during the day, with three prize lists
(belted, unbelted and rapier), games booths run by the various cantons,
trick-or-treating for the kids and a feast and dancing in the evening.

We discussed what to put together for our booth, and had several good
suggestions including fortune telling (real and "automata"), pin the tail on
the donkey, and bean bag toss.  We've got some of the games we use for
Poachers' Feast already that can be set up for the booth, and there was a
suggestion of making another bean bag board with various peers on it and bean
bags in the shape of cats.  'Cause, you know, you can't swing a cat without
hitting a peer, right?  :)  October's A&S day is set for 10/16, and we'll be
assembling and decorating our booth.  Note:  we need a place to hold the
meeting, preferrably one with lots of room to work!

Brigit is still working on details for the rapier event.  Brigit, please don't
forget to get me your first & second choices for dates so I can submit the
request as soon as the second round calendar opens.

Darkwood will have taxes due next summer -- please think of suitable themes for
the presentation.

Upcoming:

There is a baronial officers meeting on September 19 at the Yacht Club in Moss
Landing.  Everyone is welcome to attend.

There is an OPERS demo at UCSC on September 20, and another demo at Cabrillo on
September 28 & 29.

September 24 is an equestrian event at the Santa Cruz County Horsemen
Association on at the Santa Cruz County Horsemen Association from 3pm to 7pm.
There will be food and snacks to share.  Contact Bjorn for more information.
http://www2.cruzio.com/~candg/SCCHA_Webpage.htm

September 24 is also Darkwood A&S at Coyote Lake in Gilroy.  Info can be found
here:  http://www.naadhira.net/DarkwoodAS.htm.  Not only are there lots of
fabulous classes, there will be an A&S display (finished or works in progress)
and a competition:  "Food in Honor of Darkwood."

Bjorn is arranging for a tanning (as in hides) class at the end of November.
Again, contact her for more information.

Future canton meetings:

October 16 (somebody please volunteer to host this!).  A&S portion begins at
1:00 p.m., we'll be working on our games booth for the Baroness' Masked Ball.
Wear comfy clothes you can work in, and ideas for games and prizes.  Business
portion begins about 6:00 p.m., with a potluck dinner.  Bring a dish to share.

November 20 (location to be decided).  A&S portion begins at 1:00 p.m., we'll be
working on "stuff for 12th Night."  Books will be available to help you pick out
clothes, we'll have patterns and fabrics and lots of shiny stuff.  Business
portion begins about 6:00 p.m., with a potluck dinner.  Bring a dish to share.

I think that's it for now!

Rose, yer seneschale