[joe-frank-list] 'Don't know mind'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:55:59 PST 2022

	Larry tells Joe he lost his keys, can't find them.
	4:30: David Rapkin tells Joe things he's lost, including his
wife, who, along with her friend the strawberry blonde dancer Diana
Kitrova, rode off with a stranger when they were lost in Manhattan.
They returned 3 days later, keeping secret what had happened to them.
They divorced.
	7:00: Joe tells Rapkin that when he was around 18 he had a
fantasy of digging his father up, holding his bones in his arms.
	8:40: Gregory Poe tells Joe he was a close friends with a
daughter of an oral surgeon to film stars.  Poe inherited dental
x-rays of stars, from which he made a mini-dress.  The daughter 'was
the first women's bodybuilding champion of the world'.  (I can't
verify this.)  She put on shows in Japan, which Poe describes.  She
and Poe married in Las Vegas one day, flew to Tijuana that day to get
divorced.
	12:30: Poe describes a beautiful US flag design dress she wore
to a party.  The hostess alternately berated her and praised her for
the dress, which Poe attributed to drugs.
	14:40: Poe tells Joe hostess of the party, a Chinese woman,
wrote a script for a movie, 'Operation eunuch', about a market for the
testicles of boys in China.
	16:30: Jack Kornfield talks about accepting change.
	21:40: Larry tells Joe that van Gogh did his best work when he
thought he was making great art.  Larry says he will bring the same
attitude to his audition tomorrow.
	22:40: Larry reads lines from the play he'll audition for.
Larry thinks he's good, Joe doesn't.
	24:10: Larry tells Joe about going to the Actors' Chapel to
pray for a job.
	28:10: Larry tells Joe what happened at the audition.
	31:20: Victoria calls; she and Joe arrange a time to call
back.
	32:50: Kornfield offers the mantra, 'Let go!'  He illustrates
with the joke about the bricklayer and the barrel of bricks.  (The
marvelous Gerard Hoffnung seems to have invented this story, which
many have used, without attribution, for years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Hoffnung)
	36:30: Henry Dennis tells a story about meeting a beautiful
German woman, Tina, when he lived in St Thomas (Virgin Islands).  He
didn't think such a beautiful wealthy woman would be interested in
him, but she approached him, they had a relationship, moved to
Washington DC.  She was rabidly jealous, which made Dennis leave her.
	43:20: Kornfield tells Zorba the Greek's story about an old
man planting an almond tree.  ('Zorba the Greek was walking along one
day and saw this old man planting an almond tree.  The man was 95
years old; almond trees take 20 years to bear fruit.  He said, "What
do you do, old man planting that almond tree: you won't be around to
see it bear fruit.", and the old man said, "I live as if I will never
die." and then Zorba turned to his companion and he said, "I live as
if each day was my last: which is right boss?"')
	44:20: Suzuki Roshi says the goal of meditation is to keep
beginner's mind, or as San See Neen (sp?) puts it, 'don't know mind'
(first mentioned in 'Karma, part 6')(He also mentions the 'Cloud of
Unknowing' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing)
	45:20: Kabir recommends traveling to the here and now instead
of Tibet or Benares.
	45:40: Kornfield says we are born from the vastness, return to
it when we die.
	46:10: Larry returns to the story of the Actors' Chapel, says
it was a joke.  He doesn't want Joe to characterize him as attached.
	48:40: Larry tells Joe he's not a friend, which Joe confirms.
They squabble over the money Joe pays him.  Joe tells him that once
the show is over, their relationship is over, and Larry can forget
about staying in his house.  Joe tells Larry he detaches by drinking;
says he detaches by listening to Kornfield.
	55:20: Rapkin tells Joe a story about falling asleep at Butler
library at Columbia University, moisture transferred text of the book
his head lay on onto his cheek.
	56:20: Larry tells Joe that he knows acting isn't real life,
complains about people who claim that they act because they act on
their jobs, citing salesman who lie to customers.
	57:20: Larry tells Joe he's switched to Chivas Regal.

	https://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=Don%27t_Know_Mind

russell bell