[joe-frank-list] the German in 'Dreams of the river' and 'Just get me out of here'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:38:44 PDT 2021

	russell bell: 'You wrote "deine Härte" the other day.
Hardness is unambiguous?  You mean it refers to a penis?'
	Professor Ned: 'That would make sense I guess, in as much as
any of these kinds of semantic extensions do.'
	Once the next word is Wut, instead of Fut, 'hardness' makes
sense figuratively too.

	Professor Ned: 'FWIW voice sounds female to me.'
	russell bell: 'I thought that, but we're primed to think that
because he refers to the speaker as she & her.'
	Professor Ned: 'Fair enough. Expectations certainly have a big
effect!'
	I asked a film-maker friend, an American.  He said it never
occurred to him that the speaker was a woman.

        Professor Ned: ' And the one redditor is no doubt right, it's
probably Wut. I had trouble with a few onset consonants in other
words, possibly because of the lossy compression.'
	You have me beat.  I asked at LinuxQuestions.  I didn't ask
for a transcription or translation but someone who seems like a
legitimate German speaker listened, did both, heard Wut.
	https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/is-this-a-clip-from-an-austrian-movie-4175702990/
S/He thinks it's Bavarian, not Austrian.

	Professor Ned: »Ich hätte dich ganz nah weiss du, ich liebe
dich, ich liebe dich wahnsinnig, und ich kann an nichts anderes mehr
denken, als nur an dich, und ich sehe dich vor mir, ich liebe
dich. Ich liebe dich so sehr, dass es manchmal sogar schon schmerzt«
etc.  [The German in 'Just get me out of here']
	Thanks.  Does it sound like the same voice to you (or anyone)?

	Bad translation: 'I would have you very close, you know I love
you, I love you insanely, and I can't do anything else than just think
of you, and I see you in front of me, I love you. I love you so much
that sometimes it even hurts'

	So we have a puzzle: what was Joe up to?  Did he deliberately
use a man to read a woman's part?  Or did he get this clip, think it
was a woman?  Joe usually credits parts this big, which makes me think
it's a find, didn't know the source.  Has anyone another hypothesis?

russell bell