[joe-frank-list] 'Let me not dream'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 05:01:43 PDT 2021

	A hypnotist, a woman, instructs the listener to relax, think
his/her limbs limp.
	1:50: Joe says he feels empty, helpless, despairing.  He's
afraid to sleep, begs god not to let him dream again of 'the woman and
the stallion in the paint factory' (He titled a later show, 'Woman and
bull in paint factory'.)  He says he must put something together to
make tonight's show, odds and ends from the past if necessary.
	3:10: A man calls an older woman, asks for Coco.  He
identifies himself as Joe Frank.  Coco isn't in.  (I think the caller
is Lester Nafzger, am not sure.  It isn't Joe.)
	4:20: A man (Arthur Miller?) sings 'Make love to me' (a pop
song written in 1954
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love_to_Me_(1954_song) - not to be
confused with the 1942 song of the same name; song titles aren't
copyrightable) accompanied by ukulele(?).
	6:30: A man and woman yell, as though threatened (it's
indistinct).  There are sounds that could be a monster, could be
alarms.  It sounds like a movie.
	7:30: A street preacher tells people they need spiritual
change, not political change; the crowd jeers him.
	10:10: The director of River Valley camp (Arthur Miller?), a
sadistic summer camp for boys in the Brazilian Amazon, describes the
camp to Joe while showing slides.  It's protected by a long stretch of
barren land, then 'electronic' barbed wire, and a 200-foot gate.  The
rifle, archery, and blow-gun ranges use the boys as targets.  He calls
pain 'deeper understanding'.
	16:40: A street preacher enjoins his listeners to chant, 'Hare
Krishna'.  The River Valley director's voice can be made out in the
background.
	18:10: The River Valley director shows slides of 'fun night' -
Joe observes that they don't seem to be having fun.  Staff get to
experiment on the campers.
	20:50: Congregation finishes singing a hymn, a preacher talks,
then they sing another hymn.  The River Valley director's voice can be
made out in the background.
	21:40: The director describes visitors' day, during which the
parents can't see the children and vice-versa.  Letters between
campers and parents are disposed of.
	26:10: A man calls an older woman, asks for Coco.  He
identifies himself as Joe Frank.  Coco isn't in.  She's in England.
	27:20: A man (Arthur Miller?) sings 'There'll never be another
you' (a pop song written in 1942
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Never_Be_Another_You )
accompanied by ukulele(?).
	28:40: A man and woman yell, as though threatened (it's
indistinct).  There are sounds that could be a monster, could be
alarms.
	29:30: A preacher tells us how terrible things are, that god's
coming back.  (It sounds like a TV preacher.)
	32:40: Joe prays that his body may breathe, that he not mock
himself, that he not dream of the stallion and the woman in the paint
factory...
	34:00: Joe calls Patty; she's an actor in a show, a Hungarian
comedy.  Joe sings 'I remember you' (a 1941 pop song
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Remember_You_(1941_song) ) accompanied
by a karaoke recording to her.
	37:30: Joe calls Alison (she's been sick), sings 'I remember
you' to her.
	41:10: Joe calls a rabbi who talks about facing the challenges
of life.  Joe asks him how to reconcile the Holocaust with a god he
would worship.  The rabbi tells him a story from Meyer Levin's novel
'Fanatic' of a Jew praying at the death camp.
	45:50: 'I was born in South Dakota at the age of 4...'  A man
(Lester Nafzger?) recounts impossible and conflicting versions of his
life, some involving Mt Rushmore.
	48:30: The Christian street preacher is back, talking with the
crowd.
	53:10: Joe calls Amy (she's sleepy), sings 'I remember you' to
her.  Joe tells her it was just for her.  She tells him that's sweet.

https://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=Let_Me_Not_Dream

	I'm pretty sure the director of River Valley camp is Arthur
Miller.  I'm less sure he sings the 2 pop songs; jfwiki attributes
them to Joe, but I disagree, cite the amateur ukulele accompaniment as
additional evidence for Mr Miller.
	I'm less sure about Lester Nafzger calling for Coco and the
guy with the impossible life at 45:50.
	The hypnotist sounds like a stock recording.  The street
preachers sound real.  The church service sounds real, perhaps
recorded off TV, as I think the preacher in 29:30 is, the horror movie
too.
	Joe re-used much of it in 'Woman and bull in paint factory'.
(Is bull a joke or did he forget?)
	I'm ready to believe that Joe was desperate, slapped together
odds and ends to make this show.

	I welcome your opinions.

russell bell