[joe-frank-list] 'The nature of things'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 07:24:35 PDT 2021

	Joe talks about the 'Big bang' and how large the universe is,
then about animals that eat other animals, particularly gruesomely,
including the hatchetfish, with its luminescent anus (marine
hatchetfish, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternoptychidae), and the
violin spider (recluse spider?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recluse_spider) - examples of God's
grace.  (re-used in 'Karma part 6')
	4:30: Jack Kornfield tells of explaining a passing satellite
to an old monk, who didn't even know the Earth was round.  Kornfield
points out that this fellow was venerated for his wisdom, how wisdom
is different from knowledge.  (re-used in 'Karma part 6')
	8:50: 'I hate this nature stuff...' - thus Zachary Block kicks
off an argument with Larry, who likes nature.  This devolves into a
father-son argument about how his parents don't understand him
(including the jackhammer story), that Larry drinks too much...
(They're in Seattle, where Larry has a role.) (re-used in 'Karma part
4')
	15:20: Larry buys some booze, starts drinking before the show,
something he says he never does, understands he has become an
alcoholic.  (re-used in 'Karma part 3')
	19:40: Kristine McKenna is distraught, crying; she talks to
her sister.  They both agree that their father was terrible; Kristine
thinks her sister has gotten over it but she hasn't.  (re-used in
'Karma redux')
	21:20: Larry says that no quality of acting would have
impressed the director at his audition, talks about taking control of
his fate by failing deliberately, succeeding by achieving failure.
(re-used in 'Karma redux')
	24:50: 'Mind is the forerunner of all things...' Kornfield
quotes the 'Dhammapada', that our actions follow our thoughts.  (In
different words Kornfield returns to this idea in 'Karma part 1' and
'The angina dialogues'.)
	27:10: Mike Meloan tells story of meeting an Indian fortune
teller in the street.  When Meloan won't pay him the fee he wants, he
points at him and yells, 'Don't deny me!' repeatedly. (re-used in
'Karma don't deny me').
	32:40: Jack Kornfield talks about dealing with difficult
situations by imagining that Jesus/Buddha/Mary shows up to take
over. (re-used in 'Karma don't deny me')
	38:30: Kristine is in the hospital.  An old man in an adjacent
room screams frightfully; she finds out he's 84, hasn't recovered well
from a surgery.  (re-used in 'Karma part 7')
	41:40: Joe tells of going to a birthday party.  Someone tells
the story of the antics of comedy writer Norman Wexler: buying
everything in a bakery, taking a dump at LAX.  (re-used in 'Karma part
7') (According to his IMDB page, 'Andy Kaufman's character of "Tony
Clifton" was partially based on Norman Wexler' and 'Wexler was the
mysterious "Mr. X" referred to in Bob Zmuda's biography of Andy
Kaufman, "Andy Kaufman Revealed".
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0923319/)
	46: Kornfield tells us how large the universe is. (re-used in
'Karma part 7')
	48:30: Larry describes drinking tequila with lemon and salt,
chasing it with beer, a fake margarita, then the terrible food he eats.
(re-used in 'Karma part 2')
	51: Joe tells Larry about making french toast (himself because
his Chinese house boy is out), the special maple syrup.  Then they
talk about drinking, anti-depressants, hip psychiatrists.  (re-used in
'Karma part 7')
	54:50: Larry talks about what he would do instead of
committing suicide, how he counts shotgun blasts to the head to fall
asleep (re-used in 'Karma redux').
	56: Kornfield tells about the psychology class in which
students were tested by giving them oranges.  The student described
the nature of his/her orange, put it back on the table, then had to
find which was his/hers.  He quotes Gide and Camus to illustrate the
value of perceiving joy.  (re-used in 'Karma part 2')

	Joe wasn't on the air where I lived 1998-2003, thus I didn't
hear the shows in 'The other side' series when it first aired, didn't
hear them in order.  I didn't think about the order of Joe's shows
until I figured out the order of the 'Karma' episodes, which I
identified as starting with 'Karma part 1', by listening to them
carefully.  With 'Karma 1' as my starting point, 'The nature of
things' seemed a later episode, because every segment is also in a
'Karma' episode, but it precedes 'Karma part 1'.

http://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=The_Nature_Of_Things