[joe-frank-list] Joe's use of others' materials

Bill Milosz billmilosz at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 14:08:46 PDT 2020

Having been a producer at a public radio station for many years, it was my understanding that there was a "blanket" contract for the use of any material that was licensed under ASCAP, BMI or the other common music and content licensing institutions which allowed free use of all materials on public air, with no requirement for individual stations to keep track of what was played or for the station to pay any royalties.
Joe Frank's radio shows would have been covered by this agreement hence he did not need to seek permission to use recorded material.
It is my understanding, however, that distributing his work by any other means - Internet to non-paying or paying listeners, live shows, recordings sold or distributed free to the public - he WOULD have had to make arrangements for use of this material, which might require payment. This requirement would not have ended with his death.

SEE https://www.cpb.org/musicrights/about
-Bill Milosz