[joe-frank-list] joe-frank-list Digest, Vol 102, Issue 5

LD majestic_cheese at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 12:17:11 PDT 2020

> From: Tom McDonald <awkwardgrace at yahoo.com>
>
> But the issue is did he violate Kornfield's copyright, steal his intellectual property? I once heard an interviewer ask Kornfield about Joe Frank?s use of his material. Kornfield said ?Who is Joe Frank?? He appeared not to know or care. I honestly find it hard to believe that Kornfield was unaware of it.

Frankly, who cares? That’s not really the audience’s issue. And Joe may well have had, and probably did have, perfect right to use the excerpts without Kornfield himself knowing about it, any more than a musician would necessarily be aware that a given radio station or broadcast was using his or her music, per some right.

I don’t think Kornfield was being used for parody at all. His wise and humane monologues dovetail perfectly with the parade of human failings and frailties Joe dramatizes in “Karma.”