[joe-frank-list] WBEZ

Robert Holland rholland356 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 14:16:02 PDT 2006

I understand the WBEZ practice in the sense that most
radio shows make a point of introducing themselves
within the show. Le Show does this.

In another sense, what a daunting task it would be to
create an introduction to a Joe Frank episode! I don't
think WBEZ talent is up to the task.

Can you imagine the pressure that falls on the staffer
who has to introduce Joe Frank, who typically just
dives right into his material? Knowing that Frank's
voice is rich and practiced, you'd have to be a
gifted, experienced announcer to pull off an
introduction that sounds right.

You certainly don't want to introduce the show in the
voice of Porgy Tirebiter.

And if you are female and know what's coming up next,
how do you approach an introduction? Do you use a
voice like the See Clearly Method actress? Certainly
you couldn't use your common voice, could you?

So, at WBEZ they scrambled around looking for the
person with the voice that can do justice by way of
introducing Joe Frank. And their search yielded the
only person on staff, the afternoon janitor, Raul,
whose voice had just the right timbre and damage from
smoking. They sat him in front of the mic and had him
cut demo disks. Trouble was, he just couldn't get to
the level of the accent-free announcement that
English-only radio requires.

So, they fired him and started their current practice.
As a result, Raul now introduces Jose Franco episodes
at the local Spanish-language station, to quite some
success.

Either that, or the station is just a tape-loading
robot that tirelessly works through the day's
playlist, and annoucements are mailed in from NYC.

Robert