[joe-frank-list] Re: Memories by Joe Frank (film vs radio) (B T)

Larry Dunn majestic_cheese at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 19:21:57 PDT 2006

> From: B T <uhohjf at yahoo.com>

> (where are you all Frankophiles?)

Pretty much the same place as you -- sitting around
not posting.

> Though I've enjoy(ed) Joe on the radio with his
> voice and ambient music in the
> background all these years, these films have really
> opened the possibilities of
> putting Joe's stories/thoughts on film.

Oh, I think they close down many of the possibilities.
 The story heard is the story interpreted in a million
different ways, differently in each imagination --
differently each time heard, even twice by the same
person.  The story seen and heard becomes something
less open to interpretation.

> In one extreme, you have a film such as "After
> Hours" which has a scene or two
> directly from Joe's work.  But while watching it,
> you don't get that Joe Frank
> feel--that dark milieu--mostly his raspy voice,

Do you really think Joe has a "raspy voice?"  Maybe
you're thinking of Larry Block.  :D

I'd argue that Joe's voice is about as far from raspy
as you can get.