[joe-frank-list] J. Kornfield

Steve Schneider steve at theavocadopapers.com
Sun May 1 16:03:49 PDT 2005

Yeah -- I like them sometimes too; sometimes, though, for whatever
reason, they're not what I want to hear in the context of a J.F. show,
but that's my problem, not anyone else's.  The reason I brought them up
was more because I was curious about what J.F.'s thoughts were on them.
As I said, my initial reaction (that JF put them in there as an example
of a futile worldview) was disspelled pretty quickly.  I must say that
it's hard for me to relate to Kornfield's ideas on how to live one's
life because I think (and I don't think I'm alone here, or I wouldn't
mention it) that I thrive on internal conflict, on my conflicting ideas
about how one should live his life; I'm not sure I'd like to have those
conflicts resolved.  Maybe this is my New York outlook: I think a lot of
New Yorkers THRIVE on (internal and external) conflict -- sometimes it's
hard to imagine why someone would otherwise choose to live in New York
City.

I thought of something, btw, that JF said about Kornfield -- was
thinking before that he never referred directly to him except in a few
phone conversations w/ Larry Block -- on "Insomnia," he said (about an
ex-KCRW staffer who neglected to repay a debt to him) something like
"then I tried to be a little Kornfeldian for a moment and love the
little fucker who stole from me."  This sounds to me like a statement
made by someone with ambivilent feelings about Kornfield -- or at least,
someone who, in moments of "crisis," wonders, "what's in this guy's
teachings that's relevant to MY life; this jerk STOLE from me!" (the
jerk being the ex-KCRW staffer, not JK).  It also sounds in line with
what Larry Block says about his and JF's "approach" to Kornfield.

(A topic for another time: I wonder if Kornfield has listened to JF's
work, and if so, what he thinks about it.)

-- Steve.