[joe-frank-list] After Hours

Peisithanatos at aol.com Peisithanatos at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 16:15:46 PDT 2005

Joseph Minion is not Joe Frank....

Just as Catherine Zeta Jones is not Kate....

Our imaginations are simply overactive, that's all; we discover a perplexing
enigma of sorts, and our brains scramble to rationalize it in some seemingly
logical way (which, 9 times out of 10, leads us to concocting all sorts of
ridiculous scenarios).  We need to let go of that compulsion and enjoy works of
art for what they are without scrambling so desperately to rationalize/solve
ever little detail/puzzle surrounding them.  Scholars are still debating over who
wrote the works of Shakespeare (Edward De Vere?  Francis Bacon? Christopher
Marlowe?  Mary Sidney Herbert?  A combination of the four???), whether F'Ugly
Th3 Klown is, in fact Andy Kaufman (who faked his death, don't you know?) or a
collection of other comedians & hotshot hollywood actors working in cahoots,
whether Thomas Pynchon is actually Wanda Tinasky who is actually J.D. Salinger
who was, actually, a former CIA agent before he passed away & was replaced by
a new literary figure (J.D. Salinger Deux) enshrouded with mystery, etc....

All I'm saying is, you can speculate & debate & rack your brains & ponder
away about all of these things 'till the cows come home... but there many ways in
which you could idle away your time far more productively.

In my mind, Joe (Frank, that is!) has already explained this whole situation
in great detail, and, until he steps forward to change his tune, I have no
reason to doubt that everything he said about this entire ordeal is pure truth.

This is Joe Frank we're talking about here.  As much as people like to play
up the surreal/absurd aspects of the man's canon, his work is also
unflinchingly truthful & autobiographical.

A few more things to consider: 1.) Joe Frank is nearly 20 years older than
Joseph Minion (according to the IMDB, which lists Minion's birthyear as 1957).
Of course, I'm sure some of you will come forth to say, "No!  When Joe Frank
devised the alter-ego of "Joseph Minion" he also concoted a fake birth
certificate & birth-year, so as to fool even the most clever of curious cats!" (if you
wanna believe that, more power to ya!). 2.) Usually people use a pseudonym if
either they're not proud of a particular work or simply don't want it to be
associated with their real name.  Joe (Frank!), however, has not only proudly
used the material that Minion lifted to write "After Hours" -- in his original
program, "Lies" -- but has also called Minion out on his literary theft (not
by name, of course) & discussed the entire situation in "No Show" (which I
still have, on cassette, in its entirety).

But I guess the debate shall continue to bubble on until somebody (Joe Frank
Team?  Larry Block [whose appearance in this film is really what's been
fuelling the notion that Joseph Minion might, in fact, be Joe Frank]?) steps forward
to shed more light on this issue.....
         Hegesias