[joe-frank-list] Joe Frank and other "weird" radio - OTE or "Over the Edge"

Erik Shirokoff shiro at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Fri May 23 13:42:33 PDT 2003

When I lived in the bay area, I listened to them most weeks.

They are no where near as consistently good as JF, but every so often they come up with something brilliant.  To me, roughly 80% of their material isn't worth hearing, but it is worth slogging through in order to catch that rare flash of beauty.  To give them credit, putting together a three to five hour live-mix program every week is no easy task.

They're also outspoken fair-use campaigners, which is interesting.

For those new to it, their website is:

http://www.negativland.com/index.html

Their usual strategy is to mix a handfull of old movie soundtracks / radio plays / television programs chosen by theme along with music, dialog, and improv call-in contributions.  The whole thing is performed live once a week.

- Erik