[joe-frank-list] live show in O.C.-- COMMENTs?

mjp joefrank at smog.net
Mon May 19 12:09:57 PDT 2003

Ah yes, the fog machine. I think the idea was to provide a thin layer of
ground fog while the dancer was doing her thing, but instead a tremendous
thick cloud cover erupted from stage right as soon as the music started,
engulfing the stage and the audience and lingering for 5 - 10 minutes after
the machine was turned off. So the second and third pieces were read while
Joe stood there at the podium surrounded by a thick layer of fake smoke. It
was interesting and eerie the first time, but by the third dancing break
the audience was coughing and choking and breathing through their sweater
sleeves, so someone backstage took mercy on us and pulled the plug on the
fog for the rest of the night.

One thing that I found to be very interesting (as long as I'm typing here)
was Joe's demeanor. I had really expected a scowling, dour, almost dark
presence, but that wasn't his persona at all. He was more like a sly,
subversive prankster spinning out elaborate stories and jokes, which he
himself would often smile at, at one point even laughing out loud at one of
his more humorous passages. Of course, if you closed your eyes for a few
minutes, it was just like listening to the radio show...and the weird, dark
Joe that I'd always imagined was right there in the room.

The pieces themselves were classic Joe Frank (minus the underlying music
and sound effects). The first piece, about a woman, her dead husband and
the neighbor from across the hall was one of the best pieces of humorous
writing I've heard in a long time, from anyone. When the audio goes up on
his site I'll be hitting that one right away. Classic.

mjp