[joe-frank-list] prison songs recording

Erik Shirokoff shiro at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 16 17:16:20 PDT 2003

Hi folks -

This may be old news to many, but it's new to me so I thought I'd share it.  I know the topic was brought up some time ago on the list, but I don't remember a definitive answer.  For some reason I haven't been able to find the discussion in the archives.

I think I've found the source for the prison songs featured in several of Joe's more recent programs. (prison songs, men of the cloth, etc)

At least some of the material seems to come from a compilation of field recording made in 1947 and released in the 50s on the album "Negro Prison Songs."  It's been re-released on two CDs by rounder. I haven't gotten copies of the cds yet, but a few of the clips on Amazon.com, particularly from volume 1, seem to be identical to material from JF.  The albums are:

Prison Songs: Historical Recordings from Parchman Farm 1947-48 Volume 1: Murderous Home (Alan Lomax, Rounder CD 1714, 1997, #ASIN: B0000002UV)

Prison Songs: Historical Recordings from Parchman Farm 1947-48 Volume 2. Don'tcha Hear Poor Mother Calling? (Alan Lomax,  Rounder CD 1715, 1997, #ASIN: B0000002UW)

Here's a review with some more info:
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/prison.htm

enjoy -

- Erik