[Darkwood-SCA] Baroness' Masked Ball - tickets still available

Laurie Hupman rose at santiagosmagic.com
Mon Sep 8 09:15:51 PDT 2008

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that it took me a while to figure out I'd
dropped off the Darkwood yahoo group, so I apologize to any of you who
haven't seen that I do still have tickets for the Baroness' Masked
Ball on September 27.

The site is the Santa Cruz Masonic Hall, 828 N. Branciforte Ave.  The
hall opens at noon, site fee is $5 ($8 for nonmembers) and feast is $10.

Please contact me to reserve your tickets, and in the meantime, here's
another Russian fairy tale:

Sadko
In the ancient city of Novgorod lived a poor musician named Sadko who
played the played the gusli (a dulcimer-like instrument). Sadko was an
orphan and made a little bit of money playing his instrument and
singing songs at feasts and celebrations. One day, when he hadn't been
invited to any celebration and was feeling down, he sat at the shore
of Lake Ilmen, singing many wonderful songs. When he had finished, the
Water Elf, rose out of the lake and said: "Thank you Sadko, gusli
player. Today I had a big feast and all my guests were very pleased by
your songs. I want to reward you by telling you a great secret."

The next day, there was a big feast at a merchant's house. The guests
all began to engage in the traditional ritual of boasting about their
wealth and possessions. They asked Sadko to join them. He replied
modestly that he was not a wealthy man, but he knew one secret - there
was a magic, golden fish in Lake Ilmen. Whoever ate it would become
young again.

Nobody believed him. Finally the guests wagered that if Sadko could
catch that fish they would give him all their goods. To everyone's
astonishment he caught the golden fish and became one of the richest
men in Novgorod. He built a big palace, married a lovely girl named
Lubava, and became a prosperous merchant.

One day his fleet of ships was on the way home with a cargo of goods
from other countries. But it happened that his ships were becalmed and
could make no headway. Then Sadko realized the powerful Tsar of the
Sea - Tsar Morskoy - wanted him to make an offering. From the ships
they threw gold into the water hoping to appease the Tsar, but it
didn't help.

Sadko then decided to sacrifice himself and jumped into the water. He
found himself at Tsar Morskoy's palace deep in the sea. Tsar Morskoy
invited him to play for his feast, and when he did, the guests and
Tsar Morskoy started to dance. The Water Elf approached Sadko and
whispered in his ear to stop playing because the dance was causing an
awful storm on the sea above and ships were sinking, people were
dying. When Sadko realized this, he began to pluck off strings of his
gusli one by one until he couldn't play anymore. He told the Tsar he
didn't have any extra strings.

The Water Elf told Sadko that Tsar Morskoy wanted the musician to stay
in his sea kingdom to marry one of his girls. The Water Elf told Sadko
to choose the last girl in the line because she was his sister and
could help Sadko return home. Sadko did as he was advised and picked
the last girl, the River Volkva. She comforted him and he fell asleep.
When he woke up, he found himself at the river shore near Novgorod. He
came home and was met by his wife Lubava, who was overjoyed at seeing
him again. Everybody else was very surprised to see Sadko alive and
well. Sadko and Lubava lived happily ever that.