[Darkwood-SCA] RE: Darkwood-SCA Digest, Vol 577, Issue 1

Wilhelm wilhelm at sanmartin.com
Wed Jan 31 23:55:26 PST 2007

The origin of the Tabard of Shame or The Shroud of Darkwood
The mighty Husscarls were heading South for a Darkwood/ ? (probably
Tarnmist)War. It was unbearably hot. Boris, a noble seneschal of Hawks Haven
at the time had a brand new red gambeson and a equally brand new Husscarl
tabard. As the day wore on we pushed our enemy to the Salinas River in King
City. It was unbearably hot. As I first saw the river and the enemy had been
soundly trounced I charged to the river wading up to my waist then diving
deep. When the Baron does something really stupid his Husscarls followed.
Soon we were floating and fighting in the river. Yes we found that armor
floats. We were no longer unbearably hot but Boris' brand new red gambeson
turned "lite red" and bled to the brand new tabard that also turned "lite
red". As with many of the old traditions my whim was the Barony's command
and we now had a new relic and award. It was only right and reasonable that
it should be awarded for some really senseless act of bravery or ferocity.
Some of the most fearsome and stupid husscarls were awarded it. I think the
troops even awarded it to me once. I don't know who has it now.
Baron Wilhelm,KSCA, OP,KB
wilhelm at sanmartin.com
To Buy My Book
http://www.geocities.com/baronwilhelm/