[Darkwood-SCA] A question about Darkwood...

Michelle Chapman-Thurber mct at warriorprincess.com
Wed Jan 3 20:11:32 PST 2007

Heya Duncan,

If I remember right, you're in Colorado now,
yes?  If my brain's working correctly, that's
Artemesia?  It sounds like you've already at
least talked to a herald or heralds about it and been stymied.

The main SCA heraldry page does have a names
resource, but it's mostly focused toward given
names.  (http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html)

The one article there that deals with English
place names is lengthy, but the bibliography
could give you a few good places to start
searching for documentation to help you legitimize the use of "of Darkwood".

Here they are, so you don't have to go looking:
Cameron, Kenneth. English Place­Names. London: B. T. Batsford, 1961.

Ekwall, Eilert. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of
English Place­Names. 4th edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1960.
Fellows Jensen, Gillian. Scandinavian Settlement
Names in Yorkshire. Copenhagen, 1972.
Gelling, Margaret. Signposts to the Past. London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1978.
Mills, A. D., A Dictionary of English
Place­names. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.

Reaney, P. H. The Origins of English Place­Names.
London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1960.
I'm sure some of these would be available at a
big public library or university library in your
area....or, perhaps a herald or two in Artemesia
might have some on hand?  Here's a link to
standard SCA accepted name books that could be
used as sources:  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html#APPENDIX_H

Good luck!

Cheers,
Quentyn