[Darkwood-SCA] possible archery space?

ladybrid ladybrid at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 5 15:09:15 PDT 2007

I've been taking my big boys to the De Laveaga Archery Range in Santa Cruz, as they are showing lots of interest in archery.  The club members there are all really friendly and family oriented.  They range wildly in age and economic brackets, and in interest- everything from competition shooters to hunters.  They are also very welcoming and inclusive, and in sharing the space we ended up sharing stories about hobbies and such.

The De Laveaga Archery Range (off the golf and diskgolf courses) is run by the Santa Cruz Archery Club.  They are open to the public on weekend afternoons.  If you pay for a membership, you get keys to the gates, and pretty much free access.  If you can't afford the membership fees you can sign up for a "working membership" and you do clean up and improvements on the ranges.

They need some cleanup, upkeep and construction done on their walking course.  Which is pretty cool.  They have a small practice range outside, and indoor range.  There are a few bbq pits and some picnic tables.  (As they used to be a gun range as well, there are several "slots" outside that are all fenced and razorwired off, which I'm sad no one has tought to turn into "field archery" ranges... hmmmm...).
I think there is great potential here for the SCA to get access to an archery space, and to build community- much as the Principality "work days" have opened up event space to us, in trade for some work.  But I'm too out of the loop to know who to pass this info onto.

The club folk also said there is a Mormon Church (Temple?) on Old San Jose Road here in Santa Cruz that has a very large and well groomed property that they will happily lease out for the day, perfect for field archery events, or even perhaps a tourney.

Anyone know how to run with this info?  I'd be happy to do some more leg work/ dig up contacts, etc.

brid