[Darkwood-SCA] Announcing the new Darkwood Choir

The MOMstable the_momstable at rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 20 09:05:51 PST 2004

Dear John,

After all the years I've been in choirs, I know more lyrics and verses
to Christmas Carols than most of my Christian friends and neighbors.  I
can say a few Mary's and Jesus' as long as my doing so does not offend
those that do practice that flavor of religion.  Put me down for some
previous experience with choral Latin, Spanish, German, and Hebrew.

> 1. Your SCA name

Na'arah bat Avraham

the_momstable at rocketmail.com

> 3. What weekday evening and time would be BEST for you to attend
> practice?

Tuesdays.

> 4. What OTHER weekday evenings and times would you be willing and
> able to
>    attend practice on a regular basis?

 some Mondays, some Fridays.  With dance and the kids' stuff, I'm
pretty booked

> 5. If you know, what voice type are you (soprano, baritone, etc.) and
> what
>    choir part (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) would you normally sing?

Alto mostly, though I have been as high as second soprano, and as low
as contralto or tenor (when the men haven't turned out)

> 6. (optional) Are you familiar with modern musical notation (i.e.
> "can
>    you read music")? What about any medieval forms?

I can follow music, I can not site read.  Does Hebrew liturgical
musical cantillation count?

> 7. (optional) What, if any, singing experience do you have?
> Remember,
>    this is not an application.  ;-)

Choir from 3rd through 10th.  Again in college.  Singing in a religious
institution.  Former Bard of the Oaks, former Troubadour of Esfenn.
Singing around the house because I like to sing.  Singing in the car to
annoy my sister (when I was younger) and calm and amuse my kids (now)

> 8. (optional) If you are skilled at playing a musical instrument,
> would
>    you be willing to play sections of music at practice to help us
> learn
>    our parts?

(sigh) I wish

Thank you, John, for organizing this.  One of the things I have sorely
missed is singing in a group of people.  Individual performance can be
fun and gratifying, but it doesn't have the same feeling as being able
to be a part of creating with others a beautiful sound that can only be
done in a choral group.

Na'arah