[Darkwood-SCA] Non Member Fees

Game*Alot Toys & Games gamealot at mail.cruzio.com
Thu Aug 7 12:00:29 PDT 2003

There has been a lot of talk about the Non Member Fees (NMF)
instituted by the SCA Board. I want to review these with
consideration on how they apply to Darkwood.

Basically, any of our events that have had their existence published
in advance and for which we charge a fee or require a donation fall
under the NMF rules.

These are pretty unforgiving. Unless the non-member is a minor
purchasing a discounted ticket, three dollars must be sent to the
corporate office.

There are no rules of how a member/non-member is determined. This
seems to be up to us but I would think we are honor bound to use a
consistent and reasonable method. We should talk about this at our
next Darkwood officer's meeting.

The documents do not state that the NM must pay the fee, only that it
must be paid. We, as an organization, cannot use Darkwood funds for
this although individual members can donate. Other SCA members have
made offers concerning this and there has been considerable
discussion of what might/could be. Right now, we are limited to what
is.

I, as the exchequer, am required to report and pay NMFs within 15
days of the event. This means the event constable must gather this
information and forwarded it to me in a very timely manor. We are
quite spread out and this has always made this kind of coordination
difficult. If we have collected the NMF at the event, I can write a
check to corporate as soon as the amounts are reported to me. I do
not need to wait for a full event report or for the event money to
get to me. After I write the check, I must send it to our Baronial
Seneschal for his signature before the check is valid and can be sent
to corporate. This chain produces a lot of chances for something to
go wrong. I am depending on the event autocrat to see that the first
step is taken quickly so that the ball is rolling. EMail reporting to
me is fine.

Paying the fee is not an option. It must be done and done quickly. As
I said earlier, I would suggest that the topic be discussed at our
next meeting. Certainly, our autocrats need to take these rules under
consideration, both in event planning and execution. The new sign-in
forms, I understand, help organize the needed information.

I hope this letter helps everyone. I can try to answer questions.
This entire topic is in flux with good chances there will be changes,
perhaps major. Still, it is obvious corporate believes it needs more
money and it will come from somewhere.

Frank the Fortunate
Darkwood Exchequer
--
Game*Alot Toys & Games                          Voice: 831/429-9009
Fax: 831/429-6609