[joe-frank-list] comments on 'To the bar life'

rbell at alumni.caltech.edu rbell at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 14 05:59:36 PDT 2022

	I didn't listen for years: the opening conversation is hard to
make out and not worth any effort - a witless version of Monty
Python's 'Cheese shop' sketch; I expected the rest to be no better.
	Thanksgiving afternoon about 10 years ago I went for a walk,
copied 3 episodes of Joe's shows to my Coby, then added 'To the bar
life' in case I went long, which I did.  I found Johnny's story, and
the accompanying music, excellent, one of Joe's best.  I don't care
for the rest, especially after re-evaluating Merton.
	I kept track of the last 14 years of the episodes KPFA aired,
the last 13 of those WBEZ and WNYC did, the last 8 years KDVS did.
None of them aired it - perhaps for the reason I didn't listen for so
long.
	A number of homeless people on Venice and Santa Monica beach
have chatted me up.  Johnny doesn't sound like one of them.  I think
it's fictional - it has too much detail, is too neat.  The portions of
'A kiss is just a kiss' that I have heard are much more detailed.

russell bell