[joe-frank-list] 'Mystery'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:29:03 PST 2022

	The show begins with a note from an announcer telling the
audience that the show contains material that many will find
objectionable.
	Khalid Muhammad
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_Abdul_Muhammad), National
Chairman of the New Black Panther Party (having been kicked out of the
Nation of Islam in 1993), speaks, in Los Angeles 1994 May 27 -
anti-semitism is his topic.
	8:40: Roy Eisenstein (possibly
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1362271 ?) recounts his experience as a
soldier in Vietnam in 1967-8 (He says his 19th and 20th birthdays
happened there.).  He was the only Jew in his platoon.  Many of the
other soldiers expressed anti-semitic sentiments.  One night, drinking
in town, Kelly (one of them) picked a fight.  Eisenstein beat him up.
	24:50: Niles Goldstein (http://www.nilesgoldstein.com), a
rabbi, talks about God with Joe.
	33:00: More anti-semitism from Khalid Muhammad: he calls for
their extermination.
	34:20: More from Roy Eisenstein in Vietnam.  After beating up
Kelly all the others in his platoon got along with him.
	41:00: Joe talks about nature programs on television, how
they're all about animals killing and eating each other, asks Rabbi
Goldstein what this says about god.
	47:20: Jack Kornfield talks about the morning of the Buddha's
enlightenment, his sorrow for the suffering of others, how much of
this we cause by our grasping.
	49:40: Rabbi Goldstein says his faith comes not so much from
study but from 4 or 5 experiences of god.
	56:20: Jack Kornfield says that we have to accept the bad with
the good, that if we resist this we suffer.
	58:00: Rabbi Goldstein tells Joe that he prays for god's
presence, not things.  'I don't want things from god, just god.'

	From the broadcast, 'You've been listening to Joe Frank "The
other side".  This program was called "Mystery" with Roy Eisenstein,
rabbi Niles Goldstein, author of 'God at the edge: searching for the
divine in uncomfortable and unexpected places', Jack Kornfield, and
Joe Frank, with excerpts from a speech by Khalid Muhammad in Los
Angeles, May 27, 1994 - production: Bob Carlson, music consultant:
Thomas Golubic, production assistance: Esme Gregson'

	http://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=Mystery

russell bell