[joe-frank-list] 'Waiting for karma'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:22:20 PST 2022

	Larry explains that he feels uncomfortable if he eats when
he's sober because the food he likes is so bad for him, he'd feel
guilty eating it if he were sober.  Joe points out that alcohol is bad
for him too.  Larry'd only ride his motorcycle when he was drunk
because it seemed so dangerous.  He woke up in the hospital at UCLA
once after a ride.
	5:50: Jack Kornfield reads a poem from Kabir
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabir) about how he keeps grasping one
thing after another, then tells us about Evagrius, a desert monk of
the fourth century (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evagrius_Ponticus),
all the demons he battled.
	8:00: Larry tells Joe that Zach told him he was going to smoke
grass.  (Larry tells a similar story in 'At last')
	10:30: Kornfield talks about the problems with desire, that we
always want more, that we have to learn to deal with it in order not
to succumb to it.
	16:30: Zach mixes music from 20 sources; Joe thinks it's
cacophonous; Larry disagrees.
	19:00: Kornfield tells Nasrudin's
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasrudin) story of the old man who went
looking for something new but found nothing new.  Nasrudin stole his
bag, took a shortcut, put his bag on the road - the man was happy when
he found his bag, illustrating Kornfield's lesson that what matters is
not what we have but how we relate to it.
	21:40: Kristine McKenna tells Joe about a friend who was
stressed out from the work being done on her kitchen floor, that it
seemed a small matter to be stressed about, but a person's stress is
important to him/her no matter how important it isn't in the larger
scheme.  She says her natural state is troubled and melancholic.  She
and Joe speculate that distressing external events can distract people
from their personal problems.  She tells Joe what Leonard Cohen has to
say about it.
	28:00: Kornfield talks about the 'great doubt': how can we
live our lives from the deepest place of our heart.
	29:50: Larry recalls the summer camp he attended as a boy.  He
wanted to belong to the camp's Sanhedrin (apparently it was Jewish)
but was never chosen.  He describes the ritual of induction to the
Sanhedrin in detail.
	41:40: Kornfield tells a Nasrudin story about looking for his
key outside even though he lost it inside because the light's better
outside as an illustration of people who look for happiness by looking
on the outside rather than the inside.
	44:20: Kornfield tells another Nasrudin story.  He tries to
cash a check at the bank.  The teller wants him to identify himself,
so Nasrudin pulls out a mirror and looks at himself - 'That's me all
right!'
	45:30: Larry tells a joke about 2 guys at Spago who scope a
beautiful woman.
	46:10: Larry tells a joke about the actor who comes home to
find out that his agent killed his wife, the guy is happy that his
agent came to visit him.
	48:40: Kornfield tells us that Buddha means awake, that we can
cultivate being awake, that it means we have to deal with the world
the way that it is.  He tells the Zen joke about the 2 monks, one of
whom helps a woman across a river.  He expatiates on avoiding
distraction.
	57:20: Debi calls.  She started to cry while she was on hold,
has been crying all day.  She grew up with lies, wonders what lies
she's still living with.

	From the broadcast, 'You've been listening to Joe Frank "The
other side".  This program was called "Waiting for Karma" with Larry
Block, Kristine McKenna, Debi Mae West, Buddhist teacher Jack
Kornfield, and Joe Frank; production: J. C. Swiatek; music consultant:
Thomas Golubic; production assistance: Esmé Gregson'

	http://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=Waiting_For_Karma

	I cry when I'm put on hold too.

russell bell