[joe-frank-list] 'The box'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 07:07:44 PST 2022

	'The box' is more than half re-used material.  Most of the new
material is the beginning of Debi's relationship with Scott, which is
funny if unpromising for her.  The other new part is Larry, drunk and
in LA, calling up Marilyn, the woman he has the affair with in 'Karma,
part 4', trying to get her permission to drive up to Santa Barbara to
see her.  I feel sorry for Jolly.  We get to hear Marilyn and Scott
speak.
	Does anyone recognize 'Carlos Santiago''s voice?  This segment
appeared first in 'In the dark, part 2', was re-used in 'Third world
country'.  I don't think it's Joe or Larry; Tim Jerome liked to put on
accents but this doesn't sound like him to me.  It sounds like a real
Latinx voice to me; perhaps it's Gustavo Escobar.

	'Carlos Santiago' does a mic check over storm sounds.  He
speaks a few words of Spanish, sometimes calls it Arabic.  He recites
the 'Lord's Prayer', talks nonsense, calls himself crazy.  (originally
aired in 'In the dark, part 2')
	4:10: Larry, drunk, calls Marilyn, asking her permission to
drive up to Santa Barbara.  She refuses.  (It doesn't sound like Larry
to me; https://www.joefrank.com/shop/box-the/ says it's Larry -
perhaps he really was drunk.)  (Marilyn is the woman he has an affair
with in 'Karma, part 4', writes flirtatious e-mails to in 'Terminal')
	11:20: Debi calls from NYC ('can you believe it') with Scott,
whom she met on a blind date (in LA) set up by Donna, haven't
separated since.  She brought Scott with her.  She's worried that he
hasn't found a job, isn't a 'go-getter'; she worries about money.  He
really wants a threesome with another woman, which Debi has
reservations about.  She tells of making out with another woman at a
party.
	17:50: Joe (voicing a fictional character) tells of a
mysterious woman coming for an interview late one night in his office.
Weird things have been happening at work lately.  She's beautiful,
leaves behind a box, at first against Joe's objections - but he wants
to get rid of her.  He calls security, who tell him they haven't seen
anyone leave.  Joe looks in the cabinet in which she placed the box,
only to find it empty.
	Joe goes to a bar, calls an old friend in the foreign service
in Denmark.  He tells Joe to get his blood tested and burn his tie
(the mysterious woman had asked for it), acts as though the incident
is important, not crazy, won't explain why.  (originally aired in
'Islands')
	37:20: Debi tells more about her relationship problems with
Scott, especially money, because she wants to spend hers and he has
none.  She imagines what it would be like to marry him.  He gets 2
catering jobs.  He shits in the bathtub on Debi's dare.
	44:40: We get to hear Scott's voice in this segment, including
a few words on the phone with Joe.
	47:40: After a few minutes of the sound of rain Joe talks
about how we feel when it rains.  He decides he can't continue to live
as he has been, packs his stuff, walks out on his wife.  (originally
aired in 'Nausea')

http://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=The_Box

russell bell