[joe-frank-list] 'The road to hell remix'

rbell at alumni.caltech.edu rbell at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Aug 3 08:40:29 PDT 2022

	This show is all re-used material, the first 20 minutes from
'The road to hell', the next 11:30 from 'A landing strip in the
jungle', a segment from 'Journal', the rest from 'Words' (but not in
the same order), with a segment from 'Emerald isle'.  The old synopses
on jfwiki confused this with 'The road to hell'.

	Train sounds.
	0:50: A paean to the hobo, the first few seconds of Country
Joe McDonald's 'Hold On It's Coming' repeating in the background - 'Oh
midnight special, I ride the rods a hobo...' (originally aired in 'The
road to hell') (The version in the remix has portions removed: the
call before he left for WW2, envying the lot of Eskimos...)
	6:20: Joe describes a scene in a ski lodge.  He inscribes an
attractive woman's cast, 'Regret not the momentary impulse.'
(originally aired in 'The road to hell')
	12:00: Christmas in New York, 'Carolers standing beneath the
street lamp', the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, midnight mass
at St Pat's...  (originally aired in 'The road to hell')
	14:30: Joe describes a New Year's Eve party, which gets wild.
Miracles happen.  Someone smothers to death underneath the jackets
thrown on the bed.  (originally aired in 'The road to hell')
	20:00: Joe describes living in the lower East side, getting
mugged regularly, meeting the same guy 10 years later.  (originally
aired in 'A landing strip in the jungle')
	23:50: Joe describes working for Rosemont (Rosamond?)
Electric.  The boss tells them to drink scotch, not vodka, at lunch so
the customers will know they're drunk, not stupid.  (originally aired
in 'A landing strip in the jungle')
	24:30: Joe describes the building he lives in, 'a partially
burned out shell of a turn-of-the-century industrial building', the
prostitute he could see in an adjacent building.  The broken glass and
bottle caps on the street, the street scene in general.  The broken
piano in the alley, the art project it inspired that got Joe the money
to move out.  (originally aired in 'A landing strip in the jungle')
	28:40, Joe claims to do and be all sorts of remarkable things
for 2 minutes, 'I am a statue carried in a cart...' (originally aired
in 'A landing strip in the jungle')
	31:30: Joe ruminates on how one is the star of one's own life
but a bit player in the lives of others, 'When you're walking in a
city during evening rush hour...'  (originally aired in 'Journal')
	33:40 A distorted voice (lowered pitch) tells of a family
arriving on an oil platform in a flotilla of paper bags.  After years
they move to the mainland, take menial jobs, their descendants
eventually succeeding by becoming lawyers who snare innocents in
Kafka-like lawsuits.  (originally aired in 'Words')
	37:30 An explanation of 'balance of payments' as the emperor
getting paid his weight in gold every year.  Eventually an emperor
gets so fat he splits, the exudate digesting everyone in the kingdom,
the largest incident of external digestion in the history of
nutrition.  (originally aired in 'Words')
	43:50: A woman (French-accented?) talks about falling in love
with a beautiful man, 'The first time, first time I remember I fell in
love...'  (originally aired in 'Words')
	45:00: The distorted voice recounts how his defective garage
door remote control launches nearby ICBMs.  (originally aired in
'Words')
	47:30: Joe's normal voice delivers a paean to women of all
kinds, 'O woman, possessor of the mysterious womb...'  (originally in
'Emerald Isle'.)
	54:00: Distorted voice is tired, 'I'm tired of putting pants
on my legs...'  (originally aired in 'Words')
	55:10: Distorted voice, 'In the mailroom brown shoes square in
the middle of the night...' and other random things.  (originally
aired in 'Words')
	55:50: Distorted voice recounts 2 dreams from last night,
followed by other surreal events.  (originally aired in 'Words')

	https://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=Road_To_Hell_(Remix)

russell bell