[joe-frank-list] the German in 'Dreams of the river'

professor ned ned at stromkern.com
Thu Nov 4 10:20:10 PDT 2021

> On Oct 29, 2021, at 5:19 PM, russellbell at gmail.com wrote:
>
> 	You wrote "deine Härte" the other day.  Hardness is
> unambiguous?  You mean it refers to a penis?

That would make sense I guess, in as much as any of these kinds of semantic extensions do.

> 	Professor Ned: 'FWIW voice sounds female to me.'
> 	I thought that, but we're primed to think that because he
> refers to the speaker as she & her.  2 separate German speakers in 2
> separate threads independently volunteered the opinion that the
> speaker is a man.  It didn't occur to me before that.
> 	https://old.reddit.com/r/German/comments/nqdz3i/the_last_3_minutes_of_joe_franks_fat_man_down/
> 	https://old.reddit.com/r/German/comments/qfy27l/the_german_in_joe_franks_dreams_of_the_river/

Fair enough. Expectations certainly have a big effect! And the one redditor is no doubt right, it’s probably Wut. I had trouble with a few onset consonants in other words, possibly because of the lossy compression.

ned