[joe-frank-list] the Russian(s?) in 'Prison songs', 'Zen'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 06:37:23 PST 2021

	5 minutes into 'Prison songs' a fellow with a Russian accent
tells of coming to NYC when he was 16 to go to JFK High so he could
shine up Karen.  He spoke no English so they wouldn't admit him.
Because he was Jewish he got into Hebrew school, where he hoped to
learn English.  When he was about to graduate, 'this man... in the
administration [of the school]' called him into his office, tried to
get him to get circumcised.  The man addressed him as Ilya (10
minutes).
	At 35 minutes a fellow with a Russian accent tells of when he
was a teenager in school in Boston.  He tells of Ilya, a wild man who
made tapestries.  This Ilya ended up in Alaska hunting mountain goats.
	Both voices sound the same to me, but the narrator of the
first is Ilya, in high school in NYC; the narrator of the second is in
high school in Boston and tells a story about someone named Ilya.
	Do the voices sound different to you?

	33:50 into 'Zen' a Russian guy (living in San Francisco) tells
a story of helping his friend Slava in NYC deal with his dying/dead
mother, who restored books.  He sounds like the same person to me.

russell bell