[joe-frank-list] 'The best'

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 05:28:32 PDT 2021

	Joe praises Norman Rockwell's paintings, then Edward Kean's
(the children with the huge, liquid eyes),
	5: Joe talks about Christo, the environmental artist.
	8: Joe talks about the crash of the Exxon Valdez as
environmental art, building on Christo.
	11:20: Joe talks about Pol Pot.
	16:10: Joe talks about Charles Manson, contrasts him with Pol
Pot.
	19:40: Joe talks about Wilhelm Reich, says he was suppressed
because the oil companies feared being put out of business by orgone.
(Reich comes up again in 'Predator', 'Summerhill', and
'Rent-a-family'.)
	25:50: Joe tells us how important Barry Manilow's lyrics are,
that he eclipsed Reich's psychological insights.
	32:20: Joe's mother calls to tell us how great Joe is - then
makes sure she's said enough.
	33:20: Larry Block calls to tell us how great Joe is - then
where to send the check.  (The zip code is in the wrong state.)
	35: A dog barks, then gets shot.  (John, in 'Problems', shoots
his dog (re-used in 'In the dark remix'); a story in 'Rent-a-family,
part 2' includes the shooting of a dog; a story in 'Karma crash'
includes the shooting of a dog; Joe imagines shooting his neighbor's
dog in 'On the edge'.  In a pledge drive Joe asked for pledges to keep
a dog from getting shot; I remembered the 'National Lampoon' cover:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/Natlamp73.jpg )
	36:10: Joe's stepfather, Teddy Frank (when Joe refers to him
he calls him Freddy), calls to tell us how great Joe is, then fumbles
the 'I got a dog for my wife.' - 'Great trade!' joke.
	38:30: Joe asks us what allows us to judge.
	43: Joe addresses Alicia (absent) on her behavior.
	53:50: Joe talks about Jimmy Swaggart, Jim & Tammy Faye
Bakker.
	http://jfwiki.org/index.php?title=The_Best

russell bell