Étienne Decroux

russellbell at gmail.com russellbell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 14:54:17 PST 2019

	About 2 minutes into 'Either/Or' Joe asks mime Bertram Fields
if he studied mime with Marcel Marceau.  Fields responds that he
studied with Marceau under famous mime Étienne Decroux.  I had always
thought of this episode as pure parody, but Decroux was a famous mime
with whom Marceau (if not Bertram Fields, not to be confused with the
noted entertainment lawyer of the same name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Fields - a namesake? ) studied.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tienne_Decroux
	I came upon this starting with the obituary of Georges Loinger
(at 108!), a French resistance fighter who saved hundreds of Jewish
children: a hero worth remembering.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/obituaries/georges-loinger-dead.html
Loinger was a cousin of Marceau, who also worked with the resistance.
	Loinger's obituary links to Marceau's,
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/24/arts/24marceau.html , which
mentions Decroux.

russell bell