[joe-frank-list] Re: RE: Ira Glass etc (Steve Schneider)

springystepps at aol.com springystepps at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 15:59:19 PST 2007

      I'm not a consistent listener of TAL, but when I do tune in I'm generally left with a "Gosh darn it, this world is crazy, but all is well and actually quite entertaining" kind of feeling.  Joe is more "God damn it, this world is crazy and good luck to all of us while He entertains Himself."  There's a clever, extroverted cheerfulness to TAL, versus Joe's nuanced introspection even on topics that appear to be very outer-directed.  TAL seems fascinated by the "what;" Joe by the "why."
     Really, the two shows are such different explorations of "this American life" that it doesn't seem quite fair to compare them.  I think Joe is pretty much going to win any contest of blown minds and dropped jaws.