[joe-frank-list] Re: Thread re: Joe Frnak web site needs updates

Larry Dunn majestic_cheese at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 12:02:17 PST 2006

> From: "Harold Johnson" <harold.johnson at gmail.com>

> So I'm much prefer to purchase digital audio
> files, which I'm assuming would
> be made available at a price point that I could
> afford.

You mean, his whole library?  I'm not sure that it
would be worth the investment for Joe's outfit to go
that way, especially when they have already invested
in burning the CDs and streaming the audio, and there
are hundreds of Joe's shows.

"This American Life" sells shows for four bucks a pop,
but they've been doing that for years, and it's a PRI
show, so it's associated with that corporation, which
was someone to incur the start-up cost.  If I
understand it correctly, Joe is running his web
presence with a staff of a handful of people at best.

Who would do the work of getting it set up?  How much
would the resulting files have to be priced at in
order to recoup the startup costs?  And in the end,
would it be that much less than $10, the price of a
CD?

It's not my issue either way, as I have no ownership
interest in his work, and have no problem with the
streaming/CD set-up.  So I don't really care all that
much.  But it does occur to me that one does not
simply snap one's fingers and go streaming with
hundreds of hours of shows -- particularly not a two
or three-person outfit.