[joe-frank-list] Re: joe-frank-list Digest, Vol 23, Issue 4

Justin Kempton justin at kempton.com
Tue May 3 10:15:33 PDT 2005

A few thoughts on buddhists, and other people seeking peace.

Robert Holland wrote:

>the only people who complained to me were the Buddists,
>because their computer didn't want to restart right
>away. Oh, they gave me nasty glares when I expressed
>the karma of the situation--and that they should call
>Dell tech support.

This is not a surprise. I've had similar experiences. Have you ever
heard the old joke "Anyone who goes to see a psychatrist needs to have
his head examined"... Buddhism is not so much a religion as it is psycho
therapy. People seeking peace don't already have peace.

Just because Kornfield talks with peace, does not mean listeners are
expected to be transformed into Kornfield. There is a 'path'.

Buddhism in the West is a fairly new thing, and for that reason almost
more pure. 'We' are inventing a new sect, due to our language, and also
due to the nature of how we see reality. Just as Catholicism was
transformed when it reached Mexico, Buddhism is transformed as it
reaches California and the United States. fortune cookies were invented
in Los Angles, so were flour tortillas, and the California Roll. There
are and will continue to be, many voices representing the philosophy of
Asia, Kornfield being one of them.

Joe's inclusion of Kornfield is brilliant. When people talk, they are
talking to someone, seeking validation, or council, or dominance.
Talking about it, is not the same thing as doing it --- but, then again,
it's a wonderful artform.