[joe-frank-list] joefrank.com streams work in linux once again

Erik Shirokoff shiro at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 5 23:13:53 PST 2005

In case anyone else cares -

The streaming content at joefrank.com is once again accessible for those of us without windows or mac computers, after not working for a while.

I was all set to spend a weekend with a windows box trying to figure out how to trick the site into working with alternative browsers, only to find that I didn't have to do a thing.  When you click through to a stream, the page now displays a link directly to the content, labeled "Player."  (A few months ago, every available browser would hang at the "stream not ready" message and go no further.)

It works great.  Woo hoo!  You don't even have to hunt through the page source to retrieve filenames.  It's strictly point-and-click.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I'm immensely grateful for the change.  I think it's time to switch over to an annual account.

Versions known to work:
Mozilla Firefox 1.0
Totem V. 0.99.12 (with xine-lib version 1.0.0)
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.4, with all codecs from the mplayer site installed.

Now if we can just get them to replace "Windows 98 2nd edition or later required" with "Windows 98 2nd edition or later, or any version of Linux or any BSD or any vesion of Windows (using Cygwin) or MacOS X or Solaris or IRIX or OS/2 required"  }8^)

- Erik