[joe-frank-list] Music royalties & Wiretap

Erik Shirokoff shiro at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 8 13:50:42 PDT 2005

Hi Matt,

If you find out anything interesting about copyright law and the music used in audio collage, I'd be quite interested to hear it.

I was under the impression that, at least in the U.S., most public radio stations pay annual licensing fees to ascap/bmi or other music industry associations for blanket published audio licenses.   So, if you make it on the radio, you're probably covered even if you can't claim fair use.

If you publish it yourself, then it's less clear (at least to me.)  I remember reading that transom.org pays ascap online-broadcast fees to cover their work.  Whether that's really necessary or just a precaution against unreasonable lawsuits, I don't know.  For making demo tapes you could always try to use creative commons licensed music (for example, stuff from magnatune.com).  You couldn't sell CD's of the stuff, but you could at least give them away without worry.

A few possibly useful references:

Stanford's fair use and copyright law archive:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

negativland's copyright stuff:
http://www.negativland.com/intprop.html

Best of luck with the audio work.  Don't forget to give us a link when there's some audio available.

P.S. I agree with your take on Jonathan Goldstein.  I've always found his contributions to This American Life irritating.  I'd put him in the category of annoying, passionless narcissists occupied by Woody Allen and Spalding Gray - people who really ought to be paying the audience to see their work rather than the other way around. (Which perhaps says something about the correlation between my own tastes and qualities that lead to commercial success.)  That said, I haven't heard Wiretap yet, so perhaps he's put together something more interesting than his past fare.

- Erik