[joe-frank-list] RE: Joe Frank in Chicago

MarkwP3096 at aol.com MarkwP3096 at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 00:57:41 PST 2004

In a message dated 02-Nov-04 12:27:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
I've heard reports from a few people who came to see Joe Frank report that
they were treated rudely by Johanna Zorn (director of Third Coast festival). I
suggest you email her- she's jzorn at thirdcoastfestival.org

I should think this to be inappropriate and bureaucratic behavior.  I think
she owes apologies to all those she felt moved to treat with something less
than ordinary respect and dignity.

I don't know her, but in her defense, she's running a week-long series of
events and was no doubt really very frazzled. She probably had a million things
going on, a million things going WRONG and a million people wanting things from
her, whether or not she's in a position to provide them.  It's no excuse and
she should apologize graciously if she's big enough, but I do see how this
sort of thing can happen.

I've also learned that a million things went wrong in preparation and so on
for Joe's performance and that any time he & his staff had planned for meet &
greet were consumed by headaches beyond number.  (You could have fooled me, I
thought it all went quite smoothly and hung together well, but I suppose that
behind the curtain there could have been an angry mob of rustic villagers with
burning torches, pitchforks and cudgels, only being held at bay by the
superior firepower of Joe and his staff..... but thanks to the professionalism of the
performers involved we never knew it....)

FROM: lee13 at uillinois.edu

I was also at the Chicago performance.  I was not attending the Third
Coast Audio conference.  I drove up to the city from downstate Illinois
just to see Joe Frank.  It was an extremely entertaining show, but yes,
a bit on the quick side.  I had met Joe Frank years ago at his KCRW
studio so his unadulterated voice was not so distracting to me.  His
signature background music was there.  Without that, it would have been
a very un-Joe like performance.  Some of us stayed afterwards to try and
greet Joe and get an autograph, but we were quickly shooed out of the
theater by the woman who introduced Joe before the show and I guess was
the main coordinator for the Third Coast Audio conference.  She was a
bit rude to us, in fact.  I wasn't surprised Joe wanted to retain his
privacy.  Other than that minor letdown, it was a grand evening.

--shawn
Interesting takes on the Windy City show. Things often go wrong but it sounds
like it went  fairly well. A Joe Show isn't your normal event given the
gestalt that surrounds it. I'm just glad to see he's still out there doing his
thing.
Best regards,
Mark Palasits
San Francisco, CA