[joe-frank-list] Re: Activity on joefrank.com

Erik Shirokoff shiro at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:26:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 05:27:34PM -0700, innadadadavida at yahoo.com wrote:
> >There's a lot of activity on JoeFrank.com just now.  The Realplayer
> >streams are all gone, and windows media player streams are going up,
>
> What lossage... well, Linux users and others who want to keep micro$hit off
> their computers can try VLC, the "plays just about everything" player - <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/>

Thanks.  Never heard of vlc.  Will give it a try.

Mplayer will also handle almost all windows media files, assuming the appropriate codecs are installed.  If it chokes on the asx file, just open it with a text editor and play the enclosed file url directly.  I just tried the free version of In The Dark (remix), and it works fine. (With mplayer 1.0pre3-3.2.3, and every codec from the sourceforge site installed.)

I've heard that xine will play them also, but never tried it.

- Erik