[Darkwood-SCA] Darkwood Arts Workshop -- January 16, 2006

Laurie Hupman rose at santiagosmagic.com
Mon Jan 2 19:31:52 PST 2006

Greetings, Darkwood!

Tired of doing all your 16th c. Germanic lands costume research while walking
around at events?
  Ever wanted to do your own research on what Landsknecht or Kampfrau really
wore?
  Did you ever wonder if there was anybody else in 16th c. Germany who wasn't a
Landsknecht or a Kampfrau?

  Come find out more about the REAL 16th century Germanic lands and what people
actually wore.

    Topics we'll cover:
  - Timeline of fashions in German clothing 1480-1590. What were the large
fashion trends and the relevant social/political events?
  - Primary, secondary and tertiray period 16th century Germanic research
sources for clothing, food and everyday life.
    - Did they really dress like that? How to look at a
painting/drawing/engraving and figure out is it allegorical or a real person.
  - How is that garment constructed? I'll show you how to find the clues in the
painting/drawing/engraving  and using the other resources we have (tailor's
books, extant garments), to figure out how the clothing was made (seam lines,
construction methods).
  - What's that thing on their head? Hats and headcoverings for men and women;
types, documentation and construction theories.

My resolution for 2006 is to put together a series of A&S workshops in the
barony, so please let me know if there is a class you would like to have set
up.  To start things off, though, Lady Sophia Kress will be teaching a class on
German costume on January 16 in Pacific Grove.  There are only ten spaces
available, so obviously first chance goes to residents of the barony.  If there
are any spaces left, I will make them available to people outside of Darkwood,
so please RSVP to me as soon as possible.

The class will run from 1 to 4:30 p.m., and there is a $5 charge for the handout
packet.

My thanks to Sophia for putting this class together, and I look forward to
seeing many of you there!

Rose de LeMans
Darkwood A&S

P.S.  Branwen, if it's not too late, please run this in the next issue of the
Drum!